MLA Koha/GSDL Project 2011-2012
This is a work in progress.
Feedback and comments most welcome!
Quick Guide to the OPAC and Digital Library Collections
Code in use
|Academy for the Dhivehi Language||
|Addu High School||
|Baa Atoll School||
|Dhaalu Atoll Education Centre||
|Gaafu Alifu Atoll Education Centre||
|Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll Education Centre||
|Gnaviyani Atoll Education Centre||
|Haa Alif Atoll Education Centre||
|Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani School||
|Lhaviyani Atoll Education Centre||
|Villa College |
|Maldives Libraries Portal|
|Union Catalogue of Government Libraries (This enables the search to be conducted across the OPACs as well as the Digital Library collections on the governmental portal)|
|Maldives Digital Library Collections|
All the libraries within the government domain are hosted at the National Centre for Information Technology through the Government Portal “egov.mv”
The general objective of the Project is to assist libraries of the Maldives in materializing automation of library services, thereby improving the overall service provision within and among the libraries.
The specific objectives of the Project are:
- To computerise the cataloguing and circulation functions for better efficiency in providing value added library services.
- To develop computerised Online Public Access Catalogues (OPAC) that can be searched by the public from remote terminals.
- To computerise the circulation services of the libraries so that checking in and out (issuing/circulation), renewing and holding services can easily and efficiently be handled with sufficient managerial records being generated.
- To lead to the creation of a union catalogue of the Maldives Libraries that can facilitate searching of library holding across all the libraries, thereby leading to resource sharing and interlibrary loan systems.
- To facilitate the creation of digital library collections accessible through a web portal.
The Key deliverables of the Project includes:
- Computerisation of libraries selected strategically across the Maldives. The project for 2011 to 2012 includes:
- 16 school libraries selected and sponsored by the Education Development Centre (EDC),
- 3 libraries selected and sponsored by the Maldives Library Association (MLA), and
- 2 libraries selected by the National Library of Maldives (NLM) and self sponsored by the two individual institutions.
- Training of library and technical staff, from the targeted libraries. The training for 2012 project libraries is scheduled for 3-7 June 2012 and will cover Koha integrated library system and Greenstone Digital Library (GSDL) Software. The training will be conducted by an overseas expert in partnership with the Maldives Library Association, with administrative support from the Institute of Library and information Services, NLM.
- Creation of digital library collections, specifically for EDC textbooks and teacher’s guides. This will facilitate full-text access to these resources by the entire Maldivian community. Limited access and/or password access will be provided to copyright material, in accordance with copyright clearance.
Libraries selected for the Project 2011-2012
-  Jalaaludheen School, H.Dh. Kulhudhufushi
-  Baa Atoll School, B. Dharavandhoo
-  Lhaviyani Atoll Education Centre, Lh. Hinnavaru
-  Maldives Polytechnic, Malé
-  Aminiya School, Malé
-  Maafushi School, K. Maafushi
-  Dhaalu Atoll Education Centre, Dh. Kudahuvadhoo
-  Hamadh bin Khalifa Al Thani School, L. Gan
-  Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll Education Centre, G.Dh. Thinadhoo
-  Gnaviyani Atoll Education Centre, Gn. Fuvah Mulah
-  Muhibbuddin School, S. Hithadhoo
-  Haa Alif Atoll Education Centre, HA. Dhidhdhoo
-  Hulhudhuffaaru School, R. Hulhudhuffaaru
-  Academy for the Dhivehi Language (Dhivehi Research Library), Malé
-  Dharumavantha School, Malé
-  Iskandhar School, Malé
-  Villa College, Malé
-  Muhyiddin School, Vilimalé
-  Vilufushee School, Th. Vilifushee
-  Gaafu Alif Atoll Education Centre, GA. Villingili
-  Addu High School, S. Feydhoo
Key partners of the Project
- National Library of Maldives (NLM)
- Maldives Library Association (MLA)
- Education Development Centre (EDC), Ministry of Education
- National Centre for Information Technology (NCIT)
- Maldives Greenstone support Network (MGN) [consists of NLM, the Maldives National University Library, NCIT, MLA, & Department of Heritage]
The Project is coordinated by the Maldives Library Association (Aminath Riyaz), with administrative support from the National Library of Maldives (Ibrahim Shiyam, Shafeea Shakir, Ahmed Rasheed, Adam Shahid, Shameeza Zahir), financial and administrative support from the Education Development Centre (Mohamed Adly, Razeen, Soodha), technical assistance from the MNU Library Team (Fathimath Nashfa, Saud Naajih Adam) through the MGN, and consultancy and support from Nepzilla Solutions, Nepal (Nitesh Rijal, Shiva Ram Shrestha).
 Villa College Library’s OPAC is currently, accessible only through the internal network of Villa College